Monday, January 28, 2008

Ultimate Bet Cheating Scam / Phil Hellmuth Using Steroids?

Ultimate Bet Cheating Scam / Phil Hellmuth Using Steroids?

On January 15, 2008, this article appeared on the Pokerati website:

Ultimate Bet pulled into Absolute Cheating Scandal

Phil Hellmuth Denies using steroids.

I just recently made a double-entry post on my blog about poker and steroid and was not at all aware of this Phil Hellmuth situation until I read this today. Does anyone have more information on this? Who spoke out about Phil Hellmuth using steroids?
Anyway, this is what I read on Pokerati, posted by DanM:

Now Ultimate Bet, sister site to Absolute Poker, is under intense scrutiny from the intelligentsia at 2+2, who seem to be looking — and finding — semi-mathematical proof of another “superuser” account. At first it appeared that UB Pro Phil Hellmuth was already speaking out on the matter — but emails supposedly from Hellmuth were quickly discovered to be a hoax. However … that has since led to a real, unofficial response from Phil, shared second-hand from a presumably respectable poster named trambopoline:

Anyways after tracking down Phil at the tables I finally got a hold of him, this time for real. I just got off the phone wiht him after speaking with him for well over an hour. He informed me that he understands I made an honest mistake and totally forgives me, and even informed me to post that he said so. We went over the accounts in question and I got to say, he was very suspicous to say the least. He informed me that UB has already started an investigation and that info should be released within the next few weeks.

THE E-MAIL HOAX:
Posted by brsavage on Pocketfives:

As is widely known, the UB software was developed in Canada, the Absolute software was developed in Japan. That being considered, it is unlikely that if cheating happened that it was the same methodology. Adam, I agree that it would be HIGHLY unlikely that Phil would email or call anyone to verify that cheating occurred at UB.
All of this being considered I find it rather suspicious that the accounts in question both won at the percentages they did and then suddenly were deleted.
Further, if the management of AP also found irregularities at UB it creates a terrible conundrum.

If they openly admit that cheating also happened at UB then their business is impacted even more so than what was seen with the AP scandal. If they deny cheating occurred and it is proven that it did indeed happen and UB/AP covered it up....well I personally think it should end their operations, although I suspect some will still blindly give them their business.

I wonder if anyone is remembering Leggggy's warning that UB was aware of people having upwards of 20 accounts to play cash games and yet did nothing to stop it. I feel for the UB reps who are the salt of the earth, as they are all trusted individuals whom I call friends, yet the company that sponsors them continues to have a bad light cast on them.

Posted by LitezOut on Pocketfives:

so drphiljr is FFS or has been duped by PH poser? which is it?

Posted by drphil on Pocketfives:

All of my info is still valid EXCEPT for the email/emails (plural on 2p2, only 1 posted here) I received from some asshole impersonating Phil. However, I now have Phils actual email and I can assure that any new released info is most definitely valid. I dont want anyone to think that because I made that one mistake that my other info can not be trusted either. This is the post i made on 2p2 this morning right after I got off the phone with phil....

More dramabombs: Ive been duped

So the emails I’ve been getting that I thought were Phil Hellmuth (I had good reasons to believe so) turned out to be some playing me like a fiddle, apparently ****ing with me for no good reason. What happened was I gave my email address to Phil while chatting with him at a table and there were hundreds of obvservers watching. I receieved about 8 different emails within the next 5 minutes and I was dumb enough to just assume that the scree nname I thought was Phil was actually phil. I guess the way he talked just seemed the most professional and I was convinced it was him. I kept in touch with this guy all day thinking it was actually Phil. I can’t tell you how terrible I feel right now. I feel like my reputation has been tarnished but I want everyone to know, this was an honest mistake on my part. I didn’t look enough into the info before I got all giddy and posted what I thought was a huge breakthrough.

Anyways after tracking down Phil at the tables I finally got a hold ofhim, this time for real. I just got off the phone wiht him after speaking with him for well over an hour. He informed me that he understands I made an honest mistake and totally forgives me, and even informed me to post that he said so. We went over the accounts in question and I got to say, he was very suspicous to say the least. He informed me that UB has already started an investigation and that infoshould be released within the next few weeks. He is going to call me again within the next 1-3 days. That is all I’m going to comment on the issue right now, once again I’m terribly terribly sorry and I hope this does not tarnish my name.

Well, I (Richard Marcus) forgive him, but I still want to know what’s going on with Phil Hellmuth and steroids, if anything. I can’t see to find anything written except that subtitle.