Monday, May 25, 2009

Online Poker Cheat Concern


Is PokerStars' Online Billionth Milestone Poker Hand Promotion A Cheat?

I received an interesting e-mail today putting into question PokerStars' hugely successful promotion, which has been distributing loads of cash to some lucky players. In fact, it appears that the writer thinks it might be a form of online poker cheating. Here's his letter:

Richard,

I was hoping you could help me with a question I have about Pokerstars Billionth Milestone Hand Promotion. I don't know if you're familiar with this particular event
so I'll explain the best I can. Several months ago Pokerstars gave away close to $400,000 in prizes whenever a specific hand was dealt, in this case it was every millionth hand dealt until the 25 billionth hand was reached, there were 150 of these hands.

The catch was that you could only win if the hand was dealt to you while you were playing in a cash game not in a MTT ( multi-table tournament ), sit-n-go or free money game. So it seems very strange that every one of these "special" hands was dealt in a cash/ring game. You would think if the deal was random that at least a few of these milestone hands would have been dealt in a MTT or sit-in-go.

I'm sure I'm missing something I just can't figure out what it is. Thank You for any help and I really enjoy your site! (Is it that only cash-game hands count in the accumulation of hands?)

Who out there wants to tell me what he's missing? Or who out there wants to tell me what might be going on that most of us don't know.